AN-2 aircraft was produced by Antonov aircraft factory in Soviet Union in 1946 and
it is still the biggest double-winged and single-engined aircraft in the world. This aircraft which has nicknames as “Annushka” and “Annie” is designed to be used in the fielsds of farming and forestry. Different versions have also been produced for disinfection, ambulance service, fire fighting, and parachute jumping. The widely known version is An-2T passenger plane. It has a closed cockpit and a capacity of twelve passengers. It is metal-constructed and cloth-covered.
The first prototype flew in August 31, 1947. During this flight, Shvetsov ASh-21 radial engine which is also known as SKh-1 was used. Later, Shvetsov Ash-62 engine is used in order to increase the transport load of the plane.
After 1960, most of the An-2’s have been produced in the WSK factory in Mielec, Poland. More than 13.000 planes have been constructed before the productions come to an end in 1991.
Recently AN-2’s have became popular as passenger planes due to their safety and strength especially in the USA and Canada.
Antonov AN-2 with the serial number 17805 takes place in the envantery of M.S.Ö. Aviation Museum. It is produced in 1957 and it can still fly. It has brought to our museum by Kamuran Keskin and Yener Sonuşen in February, 2020.